- ACIAR (Australian Centre of International Agricultural Research) « Rehabilitating Cocoa for Improved Livelihoods in the South Pacific – PC/2008/046” (4 years project, AUD 52,000), Year 1 , March 2011 :
Total funds received: AUD 11,500 ( 1,095,862 vatu)
Project of participatory activities for rat and disease control with producers of the association of Epi.
Specific objectives will be to:
1. Evaluate the opportunities (in all four target countries) for smallholder cocoa growers to enter into higher value niche markets
2. Introduce, evaluate and disseminate (only in Vanuatu) best-bet crop management practices within conventional, single origin/fair-trade and organic supply chains
3. Evaluate and further disseminate (also in Vanuatu) existing best practices for improved quality of cocoa; and
4. Evaluate and recommend (in all four countries) best practices for selection, conservation and dissemination of improved germplasm, in support of current and potential market objectives.
- Development of communities value-added products from
renewable energy- pilot project – GEF/UNDP:
The overall goal of this pilot project is to assist the communities to access a stable and cheap electricity source for lighting and income generation activities with the development of value-added products and mitigate their vulnerability to natural disasters.